Greatpark was built on the site of Warlingham Park Hospital, which opened in 1903 as the Croydon Borough Asylum. It was renamed Warlingham Park in 1937, and closed its doors in 1999. The site was acquired by Berkeley Homes, and all of the hospital buildings were demolished, with the exception of the distinctive clock tower, a Grade II listed structure.
The Tower was refurbished in 2012, and it took a total of five months to complete the work. Two thousand bricks were re-pointed with the original black mortar, rather than the cream cement used when it was previously refurbished. The clocks have been restored to their former glory and the bell chimes are now working. A vote conducted at the 2012 AGM decided against introducing the hourly chimes but if ever opinions change, they are ready to go.
Today the 84-acre gated park has 147 dwellings, including detached, terraced and town houses, and three luxurious apartment blocks. The mature grounds consist of beautiful communal areas with a wide variety of trees, as well as woodland areas, which attract and support much local wildlife.
For further information on the history of the hospital, please visit: